30 June 2010

Philosophize...

So here's my new philosophy on favorites. You can't choose a favorite, it chooses you.

At least this has been my experience with favorites. For instance, my favorite color, I can't just assign a color to be my favorite, or it's not really my favorite. Then you might wonder, "how is your  favorite color created and changed then?" This is how, one day, after thinking my favorite color has been yellow for so long, I'll realize how many magenta things I own, and how every time I see something magenta, I immediately want it. THAT tells me magenta is my new favorite color. (Which by the way, purple is the new color that has chosen to be my favorite.)

Another example. Numbers. I've never had a "number" that is mine. Probably because I've never been on a team that requires jerseys with numbers on them. So I've always just said that I don't have a favorite number. But I have a favorite day- which is Thursday, so whenever a favorite number was required, I'd always say 4 because Thursday is the 4th day of the week. Which I was totally okay with, because I've always kind of been attracted to the number 4. And the number 7. Then one day, I was evaluating the numbers in my life, and I realized in the two numbers that will stick with me for the rest of my life (my birthday and social security number) have mostly 7's and 4's in then. My birthday is 7/4 and six out of the nine numbers in my social security number are 7 and 4. (is that too much information for a blog?) And that was the day I realized my favorite numbers are 7 and 4, not because I chose them, but because they chose me.

That's also when I realized I can't just assign something to the "favorite" category, rather it has to assign itself.

2 comments:

cole linnae said...

hahahahhahah.
i had to read this blog so slowly so my brain could philosophize with yours. also, i just had to slowly sound that out in my head as 'fillo- so- fize'

rooooofl. i love you

Ali Anderson said...

love this. :)